Saturday, June 2, 2012

Our First Week in Vancouver



Sunday May 13 we attended church in Bellingham.  It didn't seem much like Mother's Day, but I did get a candy bar.  Sunday is probably a pretty good day to cross the border, because there were only a few cars ahead of us.  We went into the building there where we received our visas.  I guess they had to verify all our information, because the lady was making phone calls and doing something. 

We finally arrived in Vancouver (actually it is Richmond after a short drive.    We drove to Pam and Jay's apartment (which is now our apartment) and then to a park by the church.  The other office missionaries were there, so we were able to meet them, relax, and have a picnic. 

This is our little gathering at the park with the Lewises, the Traxlers, and the Joneses.  The Traxlers will be leaving at the next transfer and the Joneses will be taking their place.  We are taking the Lewises place.




These pictures are taken in front of the church and in front of the office which is attached to the church.  Those beautiful flowers are rhododendrons.  They are so amazing.  They are starting to fade now and won't be back until next spring--what a shame.  We are with Pam and Jay Lewis.








Pam has been trying to train me on all the computer stuff I will be doing.  I wish I wasn't so inept on the computer.  Going back and forth in all the programs made my head spin.  It's still spinning but just not quite as fast!

We stayed 16 days in a hotel until the Lewis left.  Sixteen days is a long time.  The only good part was the free breakfast each morning.

The first week went by soooo slowly.  I didn't think it would ever end.  But on Saturday we went to the beach at White Rock with the office couples and Pam and Jay's daughters, Marcie and Christie.  Pam wasn't feeling very well, so she didn't come.  I think she had been working too hard trying to get things organized for me.  And how much I have appreciated all her thoughtfulness and work!

 I just love Marcie and Christie.  Marcie has helped me with the computer, not to mention trimming my hair and Jay's.  He would love it if she cut his hair regularly!  Christie is so much fun to be with, because she is always happy and laughing.  When I was struggling, she would show me how to do it and say, "See, easy peasy."  It got to be our little joke.

We had such a nice time in White Rock.  The weather was beautiful with blue sky and sunshine (which apparently doesn't happen a lot this time of year).  We walked along the pier to the end, along the beach, and had a nice lunch at the pub.



This is a picture of the pier--on top and underneath.  There is a lot of moss here.



I loved this cool bird standing on one leg.


This some crazy guy jumping off the pier.  That water is frigid!

And this is the white rock.  We had a thing going on whether it was placed there by man or was natural.  Elder Traxler argued that there was noting like it around so it must be man made.  The rest of us thought it was natural.  Jay looked it up on his phone and found that it was natural, and it was white because the birds pooped on it.  Now, however, the city paints it white.



1 comment:

Angela said...

Yay a blog post! I'm so glad that you're settled into your apartment. Can't wait to hear more. :)